George Melcher Elementary opened its doors in 1962 originally as a kindergarten through seventh grade school. In 1976, the school was changed to a school with kindergarten, fifth and sixth grades. In 1988, it became a foreign language magnet offering Spanish, French and German to fourth and fifth grade students. Currently, Melcher is a K-6 school with three exceptional education classrooms, five support classes and three auxiliary staff members.
Melcher Elementary is named after George Melcher, who was the Kansas City Public Schools Superintendent from 1928 to 1940. Mr. Melcher started the Dadeville Academy in Dade County, MO; later, he organized a high school in nearby Everton, MO. After serving as a state of Missouri education official, he became superintendent of the Kansas City school system, for which he became nationally known.